The United Nations Security Council called on Thursday for “an immediate cessation” of hostilities in Yemen, which it saidposed a threat to the political process, and for a return to de-escalation efforts.”
“The Members of the Security Council expressed their serious concern at the significant escalation of violence in Nehm and Al Jawf and its impact on civilians, thousands of whom had been displaced in recent days,” the council said in a unanimously passed declaration.
The text said it was necessary to maintain a ceasefire in the western city of Hodeidah, as per a landmark agreement signed in Sweden in December 2018 and hailed as Yemen’s best chance so far to end the fighting.
The Council members also called for the “immediate stop to all intimidation of humanitarian workers” and “safe and unhindered access” in the north of the country.
The declaration came after an emergency Council meeting held on Tuesday at Britain’s request.
The members of the Security Council expressed their serious concern at the significant escalation of violence in Nehm and Al Jawf and its impact on civilians, thousands of whom had been displaced in recent days.
They underlined their disappointment at this return to violence, which threatens to undermine progress made during the recent period of de-escalation in Yemen. They called for an immediate cessation of these hostilities, which posed a threat to the political process, and for a return to de-escalation efforts.
They reminded all parties to fulfil their obligations under international humanitarian law, including in relation to ensuring the protection of civilians, in particular women and children, and their obligations under international human rights law, as applicable.
The Security Council underlines the need to ensure accountability for violations in Yemen.
The members of the Security Council reiterated their full support for the efforts of the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, and expressed hope that a renewed de-escalation would create space for the Yemeni parties to move towards comprehensive and inclusive UN-led negotiations urgently, on the security and political arrangements necessary to end the conflict and move towards a peaceful transition.
They welcomed the announcement on January 27 of a medevac air bridge from Sanaa to Amman and Cairo, a key confidence-building measure.
Emphasising the importance of continued political commitment to uphold the Stockholm Agreement, they reiterated their call on the parties to maintain the ceasefire in Hodeidah and to continue broader implementation of the Stockholm Agreement, in parallel with efforts towards an inclusive political solution, as set out in relevant UNSC resolutions, including resolution 2216 (2015) as well as by the Gulf Cooperation Council initiative and its implementation mechanism and the outcome of the National Dialogue Conference.
The members of the Security Council welcomed the renewed commitment of the parties on January 9, 2020, to implement the Riyadh Agreement, and expressed their full support for the efforts by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to promote dialogue and bring security to southern Yemen. They called on all parties to engage constructively to make those efforts a success.
The members of the Security Council called for an immediate stop to all intimidation of humanitarian workers, a cessation of the obstruction and diversion of humanitarian assistance, the conclusion of project agreements and their swift implementation without further delays, and the facilitation of safe and unhindered access for humanitarian personnel and flows of humanitarian supplies, in particular in the north of Yemen.
The members of the Security Council reaffirmed their strong commitment to the unity, sovereignty, independence, and territorial integrity of Yemen.
Yemen’s information minister calls for firm stance against HouthisYemen’s Information Minister Muammar al-Iryani called upon the international ... Gulf
Yemen’s army dismantles two cells working for Houthis in MaribThe Yemeni army on Wednesday dismantled two Houthi-linked cells in Marib. The two ... Gulf
Saudi Arabia condemns Houthi attack on mosque in YemenThe Saudi Foreign Ministry has condemned on Monday the Houthi attack on a mosque ... Gulf
United Nations condemns attack on Yemen camp, says it threatens peaceThe United Nations said on Sunday that a missile attack on a government military ... Gulf