The Dubai International Boat Show has been postponed until November 2020 with organizers blaming the coronavirus epidemic for the change.
The show had been due to take place on March 10, 2020, and set to last five days, but was postponed by organizers on Monday.
The coronavirus first started spreading from Wuhan, China, earlier this year and has since infected nearly 90,000 people, with over 3,000 dead. The Middle East has been hit particularly hard after Iran became the second deadliest epicenter for the disease after China, with 54 dead in the country.
“In light of the evolving global developments around the COVID-19 virus, Dubai World Trade Centre has been closely monitoring the situation, particularly as it pertains to our key stakeholders and participating delegations from around the world across all our upcoming shows,” a statement posted on the show’s website read.
Airlines and civil aviation authorities have restricted travel to epicenters of the deadly coronavirus around the world, including China, Iran, and Italy. The UAE has banned its citizens from traveling to Iran and Thailand in order to contain the virus’s spread.
“Whilst the UAE remains completely safe for travel, and has deployed the strictest medical and hygiene protocols, we fully recognize that for some specific shows, we have a high majority of key participants significant to the event’s program that are unable to travel due to restrictions in their home country,” the statement added.
The show is now set to take place 24-28 November 2020, which coincides with Dubai's upcoming Expo 2020.
Iran coronavirus death toll now 66 with 1,501 confirmed cases: ReportsIran says there are 66 dead amid 1,501 confirmed cases of the new coronavirus in the Islamic Republic. That’s according to Iran Health Ministry ... Middle East
Over 1,600 infected with coronavirus across Middle East and North AfricaCoronavirus continues spread across Middle East and North Africa with over 1,600 infected across the region. The coronavirus first started spreading ... Middle East
No confirmed coronavirus cases in Saudi Arabia, 290 tested: Health ministrySaudi Arabia still has no confirmed cases of coronavirus after testing over 290 suspected cases, says Health Minister Tawfiq al-Rabiah in a statement ... Gulf