Qatar confirmed on Saturday 250 new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of infections to 1325, according to the ministry of health.
The ministry said that a total of 109 cases have recovered from the infection.
Qatar News Agency previously said that some of the new cases were imported from travelers, while others came from human-to-human contact in the country, despite businesses and public places being shut.
Read the latest updates in our dedicated coronavirus section.
Qatar shuts businesses, malls
Qatar has closed all non-vital businesses until further notice as part of the country’s efforts to combat the spread of the coronavirus. Vital sectors like supermarkets and pharmacies remain open.
The government also shut down all shops and bank branches in shopping malls, except for food stores and pharmacies, in addition to closing down part of the Industrial Area. Mosques and communal religious prayers, including Friday prayers, have also been suspended.
On Wednesday, Qatar said it will be extending a suspension of inbound flights except transit and cargo over coronavirus fears, according to a report by state-run Qatar News Agency.
Qatar Airways announced in March that it had laid off around 200 employees, all Filipino nationals based in Qatar, as the coronavirus outbreak forced the Middle East carrier to slash flights.