The United Arab Emirates confirmed 300 new coronavirus cases over the past 24 hours bringing the total to 2,659, the health ministry spokeswoman said on Wednesday. Meanwhile, 12 died and 239 recovered so far.
Dr. Farida al-Hosani continued to urge everyone to follow the precautionary measures implemented to help slow the spread of the deadly virus.
Read the latest updates in our dedicated coronavirus section.
The UAE has completed 539,195 screenings over the past several weeks, according to Health Minister Abdul Rahman bin Mohammed al-Owais. He added test numbers will double over the coming period.
The number reflects the strength of the healthcare system and shows the country’s dedication to fighting the new virus, added al-Owais.
“The health and safety of the citizens and residents is a priority,” he said. “It is a national responsibility that we all share.”
UAE implements measures to slow the spread of virus
The UAE announced on Saturday the extension of the nationwide disinfection program until further notice. Meanwhile, Dubai extended the temporary closure of commercial activities in the emirate until April 18 in line with its ongoing efforts to slow the spread of coronavirus.
The country's first drive-through testing center was opened in the capital last month. Abu Dhabi’s Department of Health will set up several other drive-through testing centers across the UAE in Dubai, Sharjah, Ras al-Khaimah, Fujairah, al-Ain and al-Dhafra. The Dubai Health Authority (DHA) opened one of the centers at the Al Nasr Club for the general public on Tuesday.