Houthi militia abducts former Yemeni minister of culture from his home, son says
The Iran-backed Houthi militia kidnapped Yemen’s former Minister of Culture Khaled al-Ruwaishan from his home in the capital city of Sanaa, according to statements made by his son and the information minister of the UN-recognized government.
Al-Ruwaishan, who is also a prominent writer and poet, was detained after sunrise, his son Waddah al-Ruwaishan said in a Facebook post.
The culture minister has been a strong critic of the Houthis and has written extensively against the group, who have been fighting against the UN-recognized government and the Arab Coalition for control of the country since 2015.
Days before his kidnapping, the Houthis, who control the capital city, had launched a massive media campaign against al-Ruwaishan to denounce his statements against the group.
“We strongly condemn [the] abduction of writer, poet, & great national figure, Mr. Khaled Al-Ruwaishan, ex Minister of Culture & member of Shura Council, today by mercenaries of Iran; Houthis militia, in [a] savage manner that reflects the meanness of this gang & lack of values and morals,” information minister Moammar al-Eryani said on his official twitter account.
2.abduction of al-Ruwaishan, is continuation of 1000s arrests of political &social figures, media, journalists, &activists,reflects criminal mentality of Houthis &disregard of ppl lives, lack of acceptance of others, &rejection of any opposing voice &human rights in its areas pic.twitter.com/SYq1mAWnfi— معمر الإرياني (@ERYANIM) April 19, 2020
”The abduction of al-Ruwaishan, is [a] continuation of 1000s [of] arrests of political & social figures, media, journalists, & activists. [It] reflects criminal mentality of [the] Houthis & [their] disregard of [people’s] lives, lack of acceptance of others, & rejection of any opposing voice & human rights in its areas,” al-Eryani added.
He called on the international community and the United Nations to condemn the crime and urge the group to release all those who have been imprisoned.
The Yemeni government has repeatedly called for an exchange of prisoners with the Houthis to prevent the deadly coronavirus from spreading in prisons.
The Arab Coalition had earlier this month declared a two-week ceasefire in Yemen since the conflicts have left the country increasingly vulnerable to the outbreak.
Yemen has confirmed one case of the virus so far.
For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.
Coronavirus punishment for ‘West forcing women to take off hijab’: Houthi scholarA Houthi scholar is being criticized after saying that the coronavirus pandemic was a punishment from God on the Western world for forcing women to ... Coronavirus
Houthis violated coronavirus ceasefire in Yemen 547 times to date: Arab CoalitionThe Houthi militia has violated the ongoing ceasefire in Yemen at least 547 times since to date amid the coronavirus pandemic situation, according to ... Coronavirus
Watch: Houthis say they will shoot and kill people with COVID-19 coronavirusHouthi militants will shoot and kill anyone diagnosed with the COVID-19 coronavirus to stop the spread of the virus in Yemen, according to a video ... Coronavirus
Arab Coalition in Yemen says Houthis committed 241 ceasefire violations in 48 hoursThe Arab Coalition supporting the legitimate government in Yemen said on Sunday that the Houthi militias committed in 48 hours 241 violations of the ... Gulf