Kuwait’s ministerial court ordered the pre-trial detention of former prime minister and ruling family member Sheikh Jaber al-Mubarak al-Sabah in a case over the alleged mishandling of military funds, three Kuwaiti newspapers said on Tuesday.
Al Rai and Al Jarida newspapers said Sheikh Jaber and former defense and interior minister Sheikh Khalid al-Jarrah al-Sabah rejected the charges directed against them.
The court denied a request to release Sheikh Khalid, also a senior member of the Gulf Arab state’s ruling family, Al Jarida and Al Qabas newspapers said.
The newspapers said the court also ordered a ban on publishing information about the case based on a request from the defense team. It set the next hearing for April 27.
A government spokesman was not available for comment on the court order.
Sheikh Jaber had in 2019 resigned as prime minister, a post he had held since 2011, after lawmakers sought a no-confidence vote against Sheikh Khalid, who was interior minister at the time.
The then defense minister Sheikh Nasser Sabah al-Ahmed had issued a statement two days after the government resignation, saying the cabinet stood down to avoid addressing mismanagement of some 240 million dinars ($790 million) in military funds before he assumed office.
The ailing Sheikh Nasser died last December just months after his father and ruling emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad passed away.
After the government’s resignation, the late emir had reappointed Sheikh Jaber as prime minister but he rebuffed the offer citing media campaigns against him.
The corruption allegations had led to public protests outside parliament, the Gulf region’s most outspoken with the power to question ministers. Senior posts in the appointed cabinet are held by members of the ruling family.
Kuwait’s current prime minister has said combating corruption was a government priority.
Abandoned seafarers in Kuwait enter eleventh week of hunger strikeIn Kuwait, 19 seafarers stuck on board an abandoned cargo vessel have entered their eleventh week of a hunger strike in protest over unpaid wages ... Gulf
Kuwait extends curfew, Qatar suspends in-person learningKuwait said on Thursday it would extend a month-long partial curfew that had been due to end next week until April 22 as part of efforts to curb the ... Coronavirus
Kuwait: Over 200,000 expats lose residency permits in one yearStranded abroad and unable to return to Kuwait due to the coronavirus pandemic, over 200,000 Kuwait-based expatriates lost their residencies in one ... Gulf