The UN’s World Food Program has announced further reductions of food aid to war-torn Yemen as a result of funding gaps, price rises and the fallout from the Ukraine war.
“Critical funding gaps, global inflation and the knock-on effects of the war in Ukraine have forced WFP in Yemen to make some extremely tough decisions about the support we provide to our beneficiaries,” the food aid program tweeted Sunday.
As a result, it said, it had to drastically scale back assistance for 13 million Yemenis who receive emergency food aid in the country that the UN says is facing the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.
“We are now being driven to scale back that support for five million of those people to less than 50 percent of the daily requirement, and for the other eight million to around 25 percent of the daily requirement,” the WFP said.
“Resilience and livelihood activities, and school feeding and nutrition programs will cease for four million people, leaving assistance available for only 1.8 million people,” it added.
Yemen’s seven-year conflict has killed more than 150,000 people and displaced millions of civilians, according to the UN.
Warring parties in the impoverished country renewed earlier this month a two-month truce that began in April and that aid agencies and Western governments say has significantly reduced fighting.
But the UN humanitarian coordinator for Yemen, David Gressly, previously warned that the humanitarian situation is worsening in the country, saying almost three quarters of the population is in need of assistance.
“WFP is acutely aware of the devastating impact of the cuts on Yemen’s poorest and most needy families and we do not take their plight lightly,” the UN’s food aid arm added.
Yemen’s conflict broke out in 2014, when Iran-backed Houthis seized the capital Sanaa, prompting an Arab-led coalition to intervene the following year to prop up the internationally-recognized government.
The already food insecure country is particularly vulnerable to spiraling global food and energy prices as a result of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February.
Yemen truce a step toward broader peace deal: UN envoyA renewed two-month truce in war-torn Yemen that has given the population a sense of normalization is the first step toward a broader peace settlement ... Gulf
Saudi Crown Prince, Egypt’s Sisi issue joint communique on Iran, Yemen, Iraq, LebanonSaudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi issued a joint communique reiterating the strength of the ... Gulf
In Yemen, child soldiering continues despite Houthi promiseTwo officials have said the Iran-backed Houthi militia has recruited several hundred children including as young as 10 over the past two months.In a ... Gulf