Ship evacuated and ablaze after attack by Yemen’s Houthis, UKMTO says

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
1 min read

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) said on Saturday the crew of a Palau-flagged cargo ship had been evacuated and the ship was on fire and sinking, referring to an incident that happened 98 nautical miles east of Yemen’s Aden on June 13.

Missiles fired by Yemen’s Houthi militants struck the Verbena in the Gulf of Aden on Thursday, sparking a fire and severely injuring one of its crew, US Central Command said.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The Iran-allied Houthis have launched dozens of attacks on international shipping in the Red Sea region since November in solidarity with Palestinians in the war between Israel and Hamas.

The Houthi campaign in the Red Sea region has disrupted global shipping, cascading delays and costs through supply chains. The militants have sunk one ship, seized another vessel and killed three seafarers in separate attacks.

Read more:

US military says it destroys seven Houthi radars after attack on ship

US military says it destroyed Houthi patrol boats, drone

US military says it destroys seven Houthi radars after attack on ship

Top Content Trending