.
.
.
.

Jordan tries four Syrians for entry with arms

Published: Updated:

A Jordanian military tribunal on Monday opened the trial of four Syrians arrested in September as they tried to cross into the kingdom heavily armed, a court official said.

“The armed forces arrested the four Syrians in a border village last year in September as they tried to cross into Jordan,” the official told AFP.

“They were carrying 13 hand grenades, 12 detonators, two AK-47 Kalashnikovs and other weapons,” which are banned in Jordan. The four men face life sentences if found guilty.

The official did not give other details on their case but said that the trial in Amman “was adjourned until April 29 because the suspects did not have lawyers to represent them.”

Jordan says it hosting around 500,000 Syrian refugees.

In September, military prosecutors charged eight Syrians with “unlawful assembly” after riots at the Zaatari refugee camp in northern Jordan.