Saudi Health Minister Dr Abdullah al-Rabeeah has denied reports that his ministry has recommended shutting schools in al-Ahsaa region due to cases of the Corona virus.
No local or international health experts have recommended such a course of action, he added.
Saudi Arabia has reported 30 cases of the virus, with 15 fatalities. There have been 21 cases in Ahsaa, with nine deaths.
Rabeeah said the situation is stable, with the number of reported cases declining, and ongoing screening for the virus.
The World Health Organization had said earlier that 34 cases have been reported worldwide since the virus was first detected in September 2012, with 18 of the victims dying, according to AFP.
The virus is a cousin of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), which caused a scare 10 years ago when it erupted in east Asia, leaping to humans from animal hosts and eventually killing some 800 people, AFP said.
SARS-like virus in Saudi has killed 15, minister saysFifteen people in Saudi Arabia have died from a SARS-like virus out of 24 people who contracted it since last August, Health Minister Abdullah ... Middle East
France fears more cases of deadly SARS-like virusFrench health authorities said on Thursday they feared the country’s first case of a new SARS-like virus that has killed 18 people, mostly in ... World News