Video: Damascus double suicide attack leaves 14 dead, dozens injured

At least 14 people were killed and 31 injured in twin blasts caused by explosive devices planted in central Damascus on Tuesday, Syrian state television reported.

The TV blamed "terrorist suicide bombers" for the attack on Damascus' Marjeh Square, AFP reported.

Official television channel Al-Ikhbariya was the first to report the blasts and screened images of badly damaged vehicles and bloodied pavements.

"It seems the terrorists have struck again," said a television presenter, using the regime's term to refer to rebels fighting President Bashar al-Assad's troops.

The TV station also reported twin explosions in the area of Qudsiya, a rural area in Damascus.

In April, a bomb blast in Marjeh Square killed 13 people. Residents described scenes of carnage in the Square, which is located in a commercial district in the heart of the capital, with dozens of cars and buildings damaged by the bomb which went off in front of the former Interior Ministry building.

State-run Syria Television said 70 people were also wounded, several critically, in what was also described as an attack by “terrorists” fighting to overthrow Assad.

Now entering its third year, fighting in Syria has intensified in the last month with government forces attempting to roll back rebel advances.

(With Reuters and AFP)

 

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:40 - GMT 06:40
Top