.
.
.
.

Presidency: Work on Egypt's new government will continue despite violence

Published: Updated:

Clashes that led to the death of at least 42 people outside the Egyptian Republican Guard’s headquarters in Cairo will not halt efforts to form a new government, presidency spokesman Ahmed Elmoslmany said on Monday.

“What happened will not stop steps to form a government or the [political] roadmap,” he said, adding that the interim president, Adly Mansour, will for a committee to look into Monday’s events.

The Egyptian military last week ousted Islamist President Mohammed Mursi, dissolved the constitution and announced that a new political roadmap will be implemented.

Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood – from which Mursi hails – called for an “uprising” on Monday after at least 35 of its supporters were shot dead outside an army headquarters in Cairo, and urged international intervention to prevent a “new Syria.”

Earlier, the Egyptian armed forces said “armed terrorists” had tried to storm the headquarters of the elite Republican Guard, where the Brotherhood had been protesting, leaving one security officer dead.