An Egyptian Salafist party, Al-Nour, said it withdrew from deliberation on the formation of a new cabinet following the killing of demonstrators calling for ousted Islamist President Mohammed Mursi to be reinstated.
“We have decided to withdraw immediately from all negotiations in response to the massacre outside the Republican Guard” headquarters, Al-Nour spokesman Nadder Bakkar said on Twitter.
The Al-Nour spokesperson told Al Arabiya that a committee to look into Monday’s incident must be formed.
Unidentified gunmen attacked the Republican Guard officers’ club in Egypt, killing 16 people, medical sources said, amid reports that army killed at least 16 Islamist activists during a protest on Monday.
Al-Nour had supporterted the military’s overthrow of Mursi last week but did say it was concerned about the army’s transitional plans, including the appointment of Adly Mansour as caretaker president.
Al-Nour rejected on Sunday the nomination of Ziad Bahaa Eddin and Mohamed Elbaradei as the country’s next interim prime minister and vice-president respectively.
“We have not agreed with the presidency on Ziad Bahaa Eddin or ElBaradei,” Al-Nour said in a statement.