A 15-year old Egyptian girl who rejected her family’s pressures to wear the Islamic headscarf, known as the hijab, shot herself to death using her father’s hand gun, Egyptian media reported.
The girl, identified only as Amira , was subjected to “violence” by her family after she removed her hijab.
Preferring death to living under violence, Amira reportedly “sneaked” into her father’s room, took his gun and opened fire on herself, an investigation found, according to Youm7.
The girl’s suicide, which took place last week in an area of the Giza province, was reported by the popular Egyptian news website Youm7.
- Indonesian ‘Hijabers’ buy into an Islamic economy
- France’s Muslim women fearful as govt seeks to widen hijab ban
- Iran hijab singer angers ultraconservatives
- Turkey allows female lawyers to wear hijab in courts: source
- Baby steps? Toddlers in Iran taught chastity, hijab lessons
- Strip and strike: Iranian activists strip to protest against hijab
- Hijab first in British parliament