Egypt’s Health Ministry says 65 dead in Cairo unrest

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
1 min read

At least 65 people were killed during clashes in Cairo early Saturday, Egypt”s Health Ministry said, after violence erupted at a demonstration in support of ousted President Mohammad Mursi.

The ministry said another nine people were killed in Egypt’s second city Alexandria on Friday, putting the toll in two days of clashes at 74.

“The number of dead in clashes on Friday and Saturday rose to 74... including nine in the governorate of Alexandria and 65 in clashes” in Cairo, a Health Ministry statement said.

The ministry added that 748 people had been injured during the two days, including 269 outside Cairo’s Rabaa al-Adawiya mosque, where Mursi loyalists have been camped in protest since his ouster in a military-led coup on July 3.

The violence in Cairo was the deadliest since the coup that pushed Mursi from office following massive demonstrations against him.

His Muslim Brotherhood movement said on Saturday afternoon that at least 66 people had been killed in Cairo on Saturday morning, adding that 61 were “clinically dead” without giving further details.

An AFP reporter at the scene on Saturday morning counted 37 corpses in the mosque’s makeshift hospital, and emergency services said other hospitals received 29 additional bodies.

Top Content Trending