.
.
.
.

Egyptian presidency denies Brotherhood offered ministerial posts

Published: Updated:

Egypt’s interim government is yet to seal a deal with the Muslim Brotherhood, a spokesman said on Tuesday, denying earlier reports that members of the Islamist group were offered ministerial posts.

In remarks reported by state news agency MENA, Egyptian presidential media adviser Ahmed El-Muslimany said the reports of a ministerial deal were unfounded.

In response to the earlier reports, Muslimany also said that the government did not offer to release several of the Brotherhood’s jailed members, nor did it offer to unfreeze the group's assets as part of a deal to end the political crisis.

Earlier on Monday, Reuters news agency, citing a military source, reported that such an offer was made in exchange for the Brotherhood to end their sit-in protests.

Security sources speaking to British newspaper The Guardian on Monday had confirmed the substance of these reports.

"Within the framework of national reconciliation there have been promises made by the government to the Brotherhood, but only after they clear the sit-ins and end the protests," a security source told The Guardian.

"These promises include three ministerial posts in the new government; unfreezing the assets of the senior Muslim Brotherhood and only letting out of prison those who have not incited violence against the state," he said.

The Muslim Brotherhood and its supporters have been holding two large sit-ins in Cairo and Giza demanding former President Mohammed Mursi, who hails from the Brotherhood, to be reinstated and have held daily rallies to voice their demands since 28 June.

(With Reuters)