The U.S. embassy in Sana’a, Yemen, reopened on Sunday after closing earlier this month due to concerns over potential terrorist attacks, the U.S. State Department said.
The Yemen embassy was one of about 20 U.S. embassies and consulates in the Middle East and Africa that were closed in early August when the United States said it had picked up information about unspecified terrorism threats.
The reopened embassy in Yemen will “provide limited public services,” State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said. Although the post was reopened on Sunday, the department released the announcement on Tuesday.
Most of the other shuttered embassies and consulates were reopened earlier, on Sunday, August 11, but the Yemen embassy had remained closed because of ongoing concerns about potential attacks.
- British embassy in Yemen reopens after security concerns
- Al-Qaeda’s center of gravity ‘shifting’ from Pakistan to Yemen
- Two al-Qaeda suspects killed in southern Yemen drone strike
- Yemen says Qaeda plotted to take hostages at oil port
- Yemen’s government says it uncovers al-Qaeda plots
- UK withdraws embassy staff, U.S. flies personnel out of Yemen