A blast struck a bus transporting Yemeni air force personnel to their base in Sana’a on Sunday, killing at least six of them and injuring 26 others, Reuters news agency reported.
The vehicle had been travelling on the road leading to Sana’a international airport, which is adjacent to the base, a security official told AFP news agency.
A bomb planted on the bus had exploded, the official said, while witnesses said body parts of the dead were blown out of the vehicle.
There are no further details on who could be responsible for the attack.
Previously, numerous attacks on the country's security forces have been claimed by the Yemen-based al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, or AQAP, the most active franchise of the global jihadist network.
(With AFP and Reuters)
- Yemen apologizes to separatists over ‘94 civil war
- Security head in Yemen's Aden killed in 'Qaeda' attack
- The ‘un-revolution’: Yemen’s mediocre transition
- British embassy in Yemen reopens after security concerns
- Al-Qaeda’s center of gravity ‘shifting’ from Pakistan to Yemen
- Two al-Qaeda suspects killed in southern Yemen drone strike