Libya releases four U.S. military personnel
The four Americans held by the Libyan government were part of a U.S. embassy security team
Four U.S. military personnel detained in Libya have been released, a U.S. defense official said on Saturday.
The military employees were investigating potential evacuation routes in Libya near Sabratha when they were taken into custody at a checkpoint.
An altercation allegedly took place at the checkpoint, the Defense Department official said. No one was injured.
The four were supporting U.S. Marine security forces meant to aid in the protection of the American Embassy, the official said.
After their detainment, they were transferred to the Ministry of Interior and held for a few hours.
"We value our relationship with the new Libya," State Department spokewoman Jen Psaki said. "We have a strategic partnership based on shared interests and our strong support for Libya's historic democratic transition."
Americans in Libya have been targeted several times since 2011 when Muammar Qaddafi was overthrown by rebel groups backed by U.S. and NATO airpower.
In September 2012 four people, including the U.S. ambassador to Libya, were killed in an attack on the U.S. consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi by Islamist gunmen with alleged Al-Qaeda ties.
Earlier this month an American teacher was shot and killed near his home in Benghazi in an attack blamed on Islamist extremists.
More than two years after the collapse of Qaddafi’s government, Prime Minister Ali Zeidan is struggling with widespread insecurity, especially with rebel factions and militias.
Protesters block entrance to Libya’s central bankDozens of Libyan protesters blocked the entrance to the central bank and port in the capital Tripoli Middle East
Libya’s oil industry optimistic about opening seized oil portsA mix of tribesmen, militias and civil servants has seized oilfields and ports Libya Energy
Internet returns to Libya's west, south after disruptionsThe protesters were reacting to eastern militias shutting down oil terminals since this summer Middle East
Libya again threatens use of force to end oil blockadeLibya's Prime Minister Ali Zeidan has already threatened to use force against the strikers but without taking action Energy
Intelligence chief killed in Libya’s BenghaziUnknown assassins shot dead the Benghazi head of military intelligence Middle East
‘I forgive and love you,’ widow tells husband’s murderersWife of American teacher killed in Libya pens open letter to Libyan people, husband’s killers Variety
Libya army colonel shot dead in BenghaziCol. Said Massoud al-Jamli has received three bullets to the head, says a hospital spokeswoman Middle East
East Libyan autonomy leader says will not reopen seized oil portsLibya remains in turmoil as the government struggles to rein in militias that helped topple Muammar Qaddafi in 2011 Africa
Libya militia to open oil terminals in DecemberOil terminals will reopen after the country has already lost millions News