Sisi ‘readies electoral agenda’ for Egypt presidential vote
He has been tipped to become the country’s next president and while he is yet to announce his nomination, speculation is rife
Egypt’s army chief Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Sisi is readying the electoral agenda he will present to the country when he announces his running for presidency, Egyptian privately-owned newspaper al-Watan reported on Monday.
According to the report, Sisi is consulting with three prominent officials regarding his decision to run for presidency and the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces will also discuss the issue on Monday.
Gen. Sisi, 59, has been tipped to become the country’s next president and while he is yet to announce his nomination, speculation is rife.
According to the daily, when announcing the news of candidacy, Sisi will announce a developmental and economic plan that begins from Upper Egypt and Sinai. The report added that Sisi himself is developing the plan which includes urgent measures to resolve problems in these areas.
In the speech he will deliver to announce his candidacy – which he will write himself, the newspaper reported – Sissi is set to discuss environmental issues.
Sisi has gained wide popularity across the country since he led the ouster of Islamist President Mohammad Mursi and Muslim Brotherhood governance in July 2013.
Many political parties, including Tamarod which called for the June 30 protests that led to Mursi's ouster, also support Sisi becoming a candidate for presidency.
- Official: Egypt’s new president must be civilian
- Sisi and the presidential adventure
- Egypt hits 3-year high as Sisi signals may run for president
- Sisi to run for president upon ‘popular demand’
- Egyptian called ‘Mursi’ wants to change name to ‘Sisi’
- Egypt’s General Sisi ‘edges closer’ to presidency
- Will 2014 see Sisi as Egypt’s next president?
- Women’s ‘Sisi pajamas’ hit the Egyptian market
- Sisi: Protecting Egypt is my only aim
- Egyptians don’t miss Mursi but confidence eroding in Sisi
- Sisi: We are ‘ready to die’ for Egypt
- ‘Brand Sisi’ sweeps Egypt as sweet treats glorify army general