Two explosions heard in Israel’s Eilat
Grad rocket was found at the site of one explosion
At least two explosions were heard on Monday in Israel’s southern city of Eilat, Al Arabiya correspondent reported.
He said a Grad rocket was found at the site of one explosion. Israeli media said the army is still investigating the source the blasts.
“At least one rocket was fired at Eilat and they found the remains on the outskirts of the city,” one security source told AFP, speaking on condition of anonymity, adding the searches were continuing.
Neither the police nor the army could confirm rocket fire on the city, although residents had reported hearing several explosions earlier in the evening, a police statement said.
The last time the resort city came under attack was in August 2013 when the Israeli army said its Iron Dome anti-missile system had intercepted and destroyed a rocket but did not say where it came from.
That attack was claimed by a Gaza-based Salafist group called the Mujahedeen Shura Council, which has previously said its militants in Sinai had staged several rocket attacks on Eilat.
Since the ouster of Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak in February 2011, Israel's border with Sinai has seen multiple security incidents, with militants using the lawless peninsula to stage attacks on the Jewish state.
The most serious incident was in August 2011, when gunmen infiltrated southern Israel and staged a series of ambushes that killed eight Israelis.
- Israel plans laser interceptor ‘Iron Beam’ for short-range rockets
- Israeli military strikes Gaza Strip overnight
- Israel strikes in Gaza after rocket attack
- Israel launches airstrikes in Gaza in response to rocket attacks
- Israel’s Iron Dome intercepts rocket fired from southern Lebanon
- Israel’s Iron Dome intercepts rocket fired from Egyptian territory
- Video: Israel boosts rocket defenses on Egypt border
- Israel to ‘exact price’ for Eilat rocket attack, Netanyahu says
- Gaza rocket hits Southern Israel
- Officials: Gaza rockets hit southern Israel
- Israel closes Gaza crossing after rockets fired
- Al-Aqsa Brigades fire rockets into Israel as tensions rise
- Rockets fired from Gaza hit Israel as tensions continue to rise
- Nasrallah vows thousands rockets if Israel hits Lebanon