Gunmen kidnap second Westerner in Yemen within days
More than 200 people have been kidnapped in the country in the last 15 years
Unidentified gunmen kidnapped a Western man in Yemen on Monday, witnesses and a police source said, according to Reuters.
The reported kidnapping is the second such abduction in recent days and was allegedly carried out by four armed men who forced the victim to get out of his car and into waiting vehicle in the Hadda district of the Yemeni capital Sanaa, witnesses told Reuters.
A police source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Reuters that a report of the kidnapping of a Briton in Hadda had been filed, but gave no further details.
The British embassy did not immediately comment on the report.
Yemeni tribesmen said on Sunday they had kidnapped a German man on Friday to press their government to free jailed relatives, reported Reuters.
More than 200 people have been kidnapped in the country in the last 15 years, most of them later released unharmed, according to Agence France-Presse.
Abductions are also a method of numerous tribes pressuring the country’s weak government into funding roads and other infrastructural projects, according to an October report in the Yemen Times.
Sanaa is attempting to restore law and order to the impoverished nation since former President Ali Abdullah Saleh stepped aside in late 2011 following mass protests against his 33-year-rule.