Iran warns it is ready for 'decisive' battle if attacked
"We are ready for the decisive battle with America and the Zionist regime (Israel)," said the Iranian Armed forces chief of staff
Iranian Armed forces chief of staff General Hassan Firouzabadi has warned that the country is prepared for a "decisive battle" if attacked, Fars news agency reported on Wednesday.
"We are ready for the decisive battle with America and the Zionist regime (Israel)," Fars quoted Firouzabadi as saying.
He also warned neighboring countries against allowing any attack on Iran to be launched from their soil.
"We do not have any hostility towards regional states, but if we are ever attacked from the American bases in the region we will strike that area back," he said.
Washington has many military bases in the region, including in Bahrain, Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Turkey, Agence France-Presse reported.
Last month, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said that if diplomacy with Iran fails, "the military option of the United States is ready and prepared to do what it would have to do."
Firouzabadi accused the U.S. of bluffing.
"Over the past decade, they brought their forces but came to the conclusion that they can't attack us and left," he said, dismissing the U.S. military threat as nothing but a "political bluff."
Iranian President Hassan Rowhani said on Tuesday the West should not have and delusions about using a military option.
"I say explicitly, if some have delusions of having any threats against Iran on their tables, they need to wear new glasses. There is no military option against Iran on any table in the world," he said.
Iran is due to resume talks on Monday in Vienna with the P5+1 - Britain, France, the United States, Russia and China plus Germany – on reaching a final nuclear accord following the landmark interim agreement struck in November.