Egypt group criticizes police over sit-in breakup
Hundreds of pro-Mursi protesters were killed when security forces stormed their sit-in last year
Egypt's government-appointed human rights council has blamed security forces for using excessive gunfire and failing to protect peaceful supporters of the country's ousted Islamist president during a crackdown on their sit-in last summer that killed hundreds.
The National Council for Human Rights, however, said gunmen inside the encampment shot at police officers, escalating the violence at the sit-in outside Rabaa al-Adawiyah mosque on Aug. 14.
The council's report, released Wednesday, is the first official investigation into the breakup of the weekslong sit-in by Mohammad Mursi supporters.
Although the report holds protest organizers responsible for allowing armed men in, it offers a rare criticism of Egyptian security agencies' excessive use of force to break up the sit-in.
The council said the violence killed 624 civilians and eight police officers.
- Pro-Brotherhood Facebook page creator arrested in Egypt
- Did the Muslim Brotherhood overthrow Egypt’s King Farouk?
- Egypt says Muslim Brotherhood formed ‘military wing’
- ‘Bomb in the bedroom?’ Egypt’s new anti-Brotherhood divorce fatwa explained
- Egypt warns Qatar over Muslim Brotherhood support
- Men can divorce imprisoned Brotherhood wives, Egypt cleric rules
- Egypt refers Brotherhood leader to new trial
- Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis: Egypt’s own al-Qaeda?
- Blair gives firm backing to Egyptian army