Two Palestinians killed amid Israeli search for teens
Israeli forces shoots dead two Palestinian men during West Bank clashes as they continued a search for three missing Israeli teens
Israeli forces shot dead two Palestinian men during West Bank clashes as they continued a search for three missing Israeli teens, AFP quoted Palestinian medical and security officials as saying Sunday.
Medics told the agency that 30-year-old Mohammad Tarifi was shot dead overnight during clashes with Israeli forces in Ramallah. Five other Palestinians were wounded, the medics said.
In Ein Beit al Mai refugee camp west of Nablus, 27-year-old Ahmed Fahnawi was shot and killed on his way to a mosque for morning prayers as clashes were taking place, security officials told the agency.
Last week, Israeli security force launched a crackdown on Islamist group Hamas, blamed for abducting three Israeli youths.
Israel has said its West Bank operation is twofold - to find Gil-Ad Shaer and U.S.-Israeli national Naftali Fraenkel, both aged 16, and Eyal Yifrah, 19, who went missing near an Israeli settlement on June 13, and to deal a substantial blow to Hamas.
Hamas, sworn to Israel's destruction, has neither denied nor confirmed involvement in the disappearance of the youths.
The military says it has searched some 1,350 sites in the West Bank and detained more than 330 Palestinians. The raids have triggered street clashes in which three Palestinians have been killed.
Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas has condemned the kidnapping but has also said the Israeli military sweep amounts to collective punishment.
Before dawn, Israel also carried out air strikes on four sites in the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip after militants launched three rockets from the territory into Israel on Saturday. No casualties were reported on either side.
(AFP and Reuters)
- Israel steps up West Bank search for missing teens
- Israel arrests more Palestinians in hunt for teens
- #BringBackOurBoys: Sara Netanyahu joins Michelle Obama on the hashtag trend
- Israeli teen kidnapping proves Palestinian unity is impossible
- Israel raids West Bank, kills Palestinian teen
- Israel arrests 30 Palestinians in the West Bank
- Israel arrests 65 Palestinians as it presses hunt for teens
- Israel expands arrests in search for missing teens
- Palestinians held as Israel searches for missing teens
- Israel premier says Hamas kidnapped missing teens
- Israel arrests 80 Palestinians in search for teens