Egypt has no plans to revise its Gaza truce proposal
Earlier this week, the Palestinian militant movement Hamas has rejected the initiative
Egypt has no plans to revise its ceasefire proposal to end fighting in Gaza between Israel and the Palestinian militant movement Hamas, which has rejected the initiative, Cairo’s foreign minister said on Saturday.
“It provides the needs of all sides and we will continue offering it and we hope to get their support as soon as possible,” said Sameh Shukri at a news conference with his French counterpart Laurent Fabius.
During the conference, Fabius called for an “urgent” truce in Gaza and renewed support for the Egyptian initiative.
Fabius issued the call after talks with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, who is rallying international support for Cairo's ceasefire proposal.
The truce plan, which Egypt had proposed take effect last Tuesday, calls for a ceasefire followed by indirect negotiations between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas which controls Gaza.
Hamas, however, insists on negotiating key demands such as a guarantee to lift the blockade on Gaza's border crossings before it halts its cross-border rocket fire.
“The ceasefire is an urgent imperative,” said Fabius, adding that the French government “fully” back Egypt's proposal, Fabius reiterated.
“The absolute priority is a ceasefire, but it must guarantee a lasting truce,” he said, adding that it should take into account “Israel's security” and Palestinian demands.