Egypt warns citizens against travel to Libya
The warning from the ministry’s spokesman Badr Abdullati comes a day after the killing of 23 Egyptian workers in the Libyan capital Tripoli
Egypt’s foreign ministry warned citizens on Sunday against travel to Libya and urged those still in the country to head to Tunisian border.
The warning from the ministry’s spokesman Badr Abdullati comes a day after the killing of 23 Egyptian workers in the Libyan capital Tripoli when a rocket hit their home during clashes between rival militias battling over the city’s main airport.
Abdullati told Egypt’s CBC satellite channel that there was coordination between Cairo and the Libyan authorities to speed up the investigation into the deadly incident.
Abdulatti also could not verify whether the Egyptians had been targeted or whether the rockets were the result of stray fire.
In the last two weeks, Libya has descended into its deadliest violence since the 2011 war that ousted Muammar Qaddafi, prompting the United States, United Kingdom, the United Nations and Turkey to pull their diplomatic staff out of the North African country.
- UK embassy convoy hit by gunfire in Libya
- U.S. pulls embassy staff from Libyan capital
- Turkey says suspends operations in Libya embassy due to security woes
- Suicide bomb kills at least four at army base in Libya’s Benghazi
- Bloody clashes break out in Libya's Benghazi
- Libya Islamists resume assault on Tripoli airport