.
.
.
.

Mubarak: I did not order killing of Egypt protesters

The court said it will deliver Mubarak’s murder verdict on September 27

Published: Updated:

Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak defended himself Wednesday, saying that he never ordered the killing of demonstrators during the 2011 uprising against his rule during a court appearance. Mubrak, who is facing trial, added that he has trust in the country’s judicial system.

“Hosni Mubarak, who is before you today, did not order at all the killing of protesters or the shedding of the blood of Egyptians,” Reuters quoted Mubarak as telling the court room, reading from a prepared statement. “And I did not issue an order to cause chaos and I did not issue an order to create a security vacuum.”

Many Egyptians who lived through three decades of autocracy and crony capitalism under Mubarak considered it a victory to see him and his allies behind bars.

In his first address to the court, Mubarak, after replacing his trademark shades with reading glasses, read out a long speech defending his record, spanning his career as a military officer to his final days in power in February 2011.

“This may be my last speech,” he told the court. “As my life approaches its end, thank God I have a good conscience, and I am satisfied I spent it in defense of Egypt.”

Mubarak pled innocent and defended himself, saying he spent 62 years ‘in [the] service of Egypt.”

Mubarak is being retried, alongside his interior minister and six of his top aides, for complicity in the killing of around 850 demonstrators during the 18-day popular revolt in 2011 that ended his 30-year reign.

The 86-year-old attended the court in a wheel chair, dressed in a blue uniform signifying his conviction on corruption charges earlier this week.

The toppled leader said during his reign Egypt witnessed a high rate of economic growth.

Detained for more than two years after his overthrow, Mubarak was granted release last August and placed under house arrest at a military hospital in the southern Cairo suburb of Maadi.

State news agency MENA reported that the hospital where Mubarak is being held said in a letter to the court dated Sunday that the aging leader’s health is almost stable.

Meanwhile, the court said it will deliver Mubarak’s murder verdict on September 27.