U.S. dominates military campaign against ISIS
U.S. defense officials says Arab and European countries carried out 10 percent of air strikes against ISIS
U.S. warplanes have carried out almost 90 percent of airstrikes against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) while Arab and European countries all together carried out the remaining 10 percent, U.S. defense officials said on Monday.
A total of about 2,000 air raids have been launched against the militant group, of which the U.S. Air Force carried out 1,768 (88.4 percent), Agence France-Presse reported citing U.S. defense officials.
The report shed light on the dominant role the United States is playing among coalition countries, which include about 50 countries in the fight against the militant group.
But Pentagon officials have insisted the role for Arab and European partners is likely to grow over time.
The Arab states involved in the operation in Syria -- Bahrain, Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates -- have been reluctant to divulge details of their participation in the air strikes.
But for Washington and the West, the presence of the Arab countries has carried crucial symbolism in the fight against the Sunni extremists of the Islamic State group.
France, Belgium, Britain, Denmark, the Netherlands and Australia have committed aircraft for the effort in Iraq, though their presence has been on a small scale so far.
Other figures released by officials and by U.S. Central Command showed the mounting scale of the air campaign, which began on August 8 in Iraq and was extended into Syria on Sept.23.
U.S. and coalition aircraft have flown more than 4,800 sorties in the air war, including more than 1,600 refueling runs by tankers, 700 surveillance flights as well as bombing missions, a defense official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told AFP.
At the current pace, the air operation will soon surpass the air war in Libya that involved more than 7,000 sorties by U.S. and allied aircraft over about six months.
U.S. and other aircraft have dropped about nearly 1,000 bombs in less than two months, officials said. That number, described as “offensive munitions,” includes 47 Tomahawk cruise missiles fired into Syria on the first day of operations there two weeks ago. Each Tomahawk costs more than one million dollars.
The munitions used so far, including numerous precision-guided bombs and missiles, cost about $62.4 million, according to Central Command.
The figure for the cost of bombs used by naval jets flying off a U.S. aircraft carrier was not available.
As of Sunday, there have been more than 260 U.S/ and coalition air strikes in Iraq and at least 93 in Syria.
In Iraq, the most frequent target was near Mosul dam, with 98 air raids, according to the Centcom figures.
Aircraft targeted ISIS positions near Kobane, the besieged town near the Turkish border defended by Kurdish fighters, in at least 13 strikes, Central Command said.
U.S. dominates military campaign against ISISU.S. defense officials says Arab and European countries carried out 10 percent of air strikes against ISIS Middle East
U.S.-led air strikes kill scores of ISIS fighters in SyriaThe Netherlands and Canada poised to join air strikes against ISIS in Iraq Middle East
New U.S. raids hit extremists outside Syria Kurdish townThe group said the strikes had destroyed some military materiel belonging to ISIS Middle East
Australia to join anti-ISIS strikes in IraqThe announcement has been widely anticipated since six jet fighters were pre-deployed to the UAE more than two weeks ago Middle East
ISIS at gates of Syria's Kobane townISIS advances came hours after U.S.-led forces carried out at least five strikes against ISIS positions south and southeast of the town Middle East
Britain releases images of strikes against ISISThe British air strikes reportedly targeted a heavy weapons position that was endangering Kurdish forces Middle East
Coalition jets strike ISIS near Turkish borderEarlier, a monitoring group said at least five air strikes targeted ISIS fighters outside Kobani Middle East
Striking ISIS is futile, says top British generalGeneral Lord Richards said a military operation similar to the campaign that toppled Saddam Hussein is necessary Middle East
New air strikes on ISIS, Turkey hints at military roleThe air strikes fail to stop ISIS from pressing their assault on Ain al-Arab, hitting it with shell fire for the first time Middle East
Wary of air strikes, ISIS militants change tacticsThe insurgents have gone underground in their main Syrian stronghold since the air strikes on the group in Syria began Analysis
U.S. military: Air strikes disrupted ISIS abilitiesThe U.S. military says around 12,000 to 15,000 Syrian opposition forces would be required to retake areas controlled by ISIS Middle East