Canada seeks to jail 80 who took part in foreign terror plots
he Canadian Parliament approved a government plan on Tuesday to send six fighter jets to the Middle East
Canadian security officials have fretted for years about the number of young men traveling abroad to join militant groups, including Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
The Canadian Parliament approved a government plan on Tuesday to send six fighter jets to the Middle East to join a U.S.-led bombing campaign against ISIS fighters in Iraq.
As of early 2014, at least 130 people with Canadian connections - including citizenship or residency - were suspected of a wide range of terrorism-related activities abroad, Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney said.
“Some have died, some remain abroad. We know of about 80 who have returned to Canada,” he told Parliament’s public safety committee, saying the individuals posed a serious threat.
“I can confirm ... that as we speak, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police is investigating these individuals and will seek to put them behind bars,” he said, without giving details.
Royal Canadian Mounted Police Commissioner Bob Paulson said the force had 63 active national security investigations on 90 individuals who had either intended to go abroad or had returned to Canada.
Michel Coulombe, head of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service spy agency, said some of the 80 individuals had been involved in fund-raising and propaganda.
“I don’t want people to believe that we have 80 returnees who were hard fighters in Iraq and Syria, because that is not the picture we have at the moment, although we have some of them,” he told the committee.
A Public Safety ministry report released Wednesday said people with Canadian connections participated in conflicts in Syria, Somalia, Iraq, Algeria and Afghanistan. About 30 people were suspected of being involved in terrorism-related plots in Syria, the report added.
The report said “global violent extremists, particularly al-Qaida” had identified Canada as a target.
“Although al-Qaida itself has been weakened, it still plays a strategic and inspirational role among diffuse regional affiliates and potential lone actors. Al-Qaida remains a direct threat to Canada for the foreseeable future,” it said.
The SITE Intelligence Group, a U.S.-based company that tracks the online activities of militant Islamic groups, on Tuesday said an alleged Islamic State fighter had used Twitter to call for attacks on Canada. It identified the man as Abu Khalid Al-Kanadi, a name that SITE said indicates he comes from Canada, given that Al-Kanadi means “of Canada” in Arabic.
Two Canadians took part in a mass hostage-taking at a natural gas facility in Algeria in January 2013. About 70 people, including the two Canadians, died when Algerian troops stormed the plant.
- Canada votes to join anti-ISIS air strikes in Iraq
- U.S.-led air strikes kill scores of ISIS fighters in Syria
- For Arab immigrants, a Canadian passport and a GCC job may no longer mix
- Canadian burglar dubbed ‘world’s sexiest criminal’
- Canada, Russia missions to NATO clash on Twitter
- Palestinian doctor to pursue plan to bring injured children to Canada
- Imam receives death threat, says ISIS recruiting in Canada
- U.N. Security Council blacklists ISIS militants
- Egyptian candidates shake things up, run in Canadian elections
- Canada overhauls foreign worker rules, citing abuses
- Canada concerned about Egypt’s Brotherhood
- Muslim group threatens Canada PM with libel suit
- Canada vows to keep its Iran sanctions after deal
- Canada bullish on trade relations with Saudi Arabia
- Two held in Canada day terror plot
- Canada charges former Qaeda unit leader Belmokhtar
- Canada to provide Jordan with $98.4 in aid to help Syrians
- Canada freezes trade with Iran over nuclear program, human rights