Iranian elite Guards say U.S. ‘still enemy No. 1’
The guards also accused the U.S. of plotting the rise of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria militants and other ‘takfiri groups’
The Iranian Revolutionary Guard renewed its animosity towards the United States in a statement released on Saturday which described the U.S. as the “number one enemy of the Iranian nation.”
The statement, carried by FARS news agency, was released to commemorate the upcoming religious holiday of Ashoura which is widely observed by Shiites all over the world.
The IRGC also accused the U.S. of plotting the rise of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militants and other “takfiri groups.”
“Contemplation on the bitter realities of today, specially the ISIL and Takfiri plots in Iraq, Syria and Lebanon more than any time before shows that the US is the house of the world's plots and corruption that never intends to compromise and have real friendship with a popular and independent system that manifests the powerful existence of the beloved Islam,” the statement said.
This year, Ashura ceremonies will take place on Nov.4, which coincides with the anniversary of the 1979 take-over of the U.S. embassy in Tehran, which led to a hostage crisis which lasted for 444 days, sparking international condemnation and a case before the International Court of Justice.
The IRGC called for rallies across the Islamic Republic on Nov.4, which according to FARS, has been designated as a national day against “Global Arrogance” with rallies held every year “marking the anniversary of the U.S. embassy takeover in Iran.”
The statement also decried the “crimes” committed by White House officials against the Islamic Republic during nuclear talks with the P5+1 bloc, calling for a restoration of its “inalienable rights” and an end to “cruel sanctions.”
The military force, which was established to preserve Iran’s Islamic system of state, also reiterated that the “guidelines of Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei” would “never allow the dignity and independence of the Islamic homeland to be threatened and harmed by the will of the enemies.”
- Family of jailed U.S.-Iranian reporter urge his release
- U.S. condemns Iran’s execution of Reyhaneh Jabbari
- U.S.: Iran responsible if nuclear talks fail
- Iran says progress made in ‘very difficult’ nuclear talks in Vienna
- U.S. says no talk about extending Iran nuclear negotiations
- U.S., ‘wicked’ Britain created ISIS: Iran’s Khamenei
- U.S. think-tank says it located possible blast at Iran military site
- U.S. House members press Kerry on nuclear talks with Iran
- U.S. considers new offer to Iran at nuke talks
- U.S. rejects Iran bid to link ISIS fight to nuke talks
- Abadi says U.S., Iran helping Iraq fight ISIS
- Lack of trust keeps Iran, U.S. away from coalition