Syrian army airstrikes near Aleppo kill 21
Syrian military helicopters dropped barrel bombs and warplanes launched air strikes on al-Bab which lies northeast of the city of Aleppo
At least 21 people were killed and around 100 wounded when Syrian army planes bombed a town in northern Syria that is controlled by Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militants, a group monitoring the war said on Sunday.
Syrian military helicopters dropped barrel bombs and warplanes launched air strikes on al-Bab which lies northeast of the city of Aleppo, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported without saying when the attacks happened.
One of the 21 killed was a child and the death count was expected to rise as some of the wounded were in a serious condition, said the Observatory, which gathers information from a variety of sources in Syria.
U.S.-led warplanes have also been hitting ISIS targets in Syria in a campaign which Washington says is not coordinated with Damascus. The Syrian army previously hit an area near al-Bab in September, saying it had “eliminated a number of terrorists” shortly after U.S.-led strikes started.
There was no immediate report on the latest strikes on Syrian state media.
Since the U.S.-led forces started strikes on Syria more than a month ago, Syria’s military has ramped up its own air raids, concentrating on the west of the country and at times targeting territory held by Western-backed rebel fighters.
The U.S.-led strikes have mainly focused on Syria’s north and east where ISIS and other militant Islamist groups hold territory in areas bordering Turkey and Iraq.
- France says anti-ISIS coalition must turn attention to Aleppo
- U.N. envoy proposes zones to ‘freeze’ Syria fighting
- British surgeon killed unlawfully in Syrian jail: London court
- Syria rebels battle for Aleppo supply route
- Syria claims it destroyed jets seized by ISIS
- Siege looms over Aleppo as Assad’s regime gains ground
- Monitor: ISIS flying fighter jets near Aleppo
- Report suggests Assad’s forces committed mass rape near Aleppo
- 2000GMT: heavy clashes rage between FSA and Assad's forces in Handarat, Aleppo
- Syrian ambulance driver feeds Aleppo’s abandoned cats