U.S. House panel debunks many Benghazi theories
The report did not conclude that Rice or any other government official acted in bad faith or intentionally misled the American people
A two-year investigation by the Republican-controlled House Intelligence Committee has found that the CIA and the military acted properly in responding to the 2012 attack on a U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, and asserted no wrongdoing by Obama administration appointees.
Debunking a series of persistent allegations hinting at dark conspiracies, the investigation determined that there was no intelligence failure, no delay in sending a CIA rescue team, no missed opportunity for a military rescue, and no evidence the CIA was covertly shipping arms from Libya to Syria.
In the immediate aftermath of the attack, intelligence about who carried it out and why was contradictory, the report found. That led Susan Rice, then U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, to inaccurately assert that the attack had evolved from a protest, when in fact there had been no protest. But it was intelligence analysts, not political appointees, who made the wrong call, the committee found.
The report did not conclude that Rice or any other government official acted in bad faith or intentionally misled the American people.
The attacks in Benghazi killed U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans. A Libyan extremist, Ahmed Abu Khatalla, is facing trial on murder charges after he was captured in Libya and taken to the U.S.
After the attacks, Republicans criticized the Obama administration and its then-secretary of state, Hillary Rodham Clinton, who is expected to run for president in 2016. People in and out of government have alleged that a CIA response team was ordered to "stand down" after the State Department compound came under attack, that a military rescue was nixed, that officials intentionally downplayed the role of al-Qaida figures in the attack, and that Stevens and the CIA were involved in a secret operation to spirit weapons out of Libya and into the hands of Syrian rebels.
None of that is true, according to the House Intelligence Committee report.
The report was released with little fanfare on the Friday before the week of the Thanksgiving holiday. Many of its findings echo those of six previous investigations by various congressional committees and a State Department panel. The eighth Benghazi investigation is being carried out by a House Select Committee appointed in May.
U.N. announces 12-hour truce in Libya’s BenghaziThe United Nations says Libya's warring parties in Benghazi have agreed to a 12-hour humanitarian truce. News
340 dead in month-old battle for Libya’s BenghaziAll of Libya's three big cities are largely under the control of Islamist-led militias Africa
Libyan army needs a Qaddafi general to beat Islamists in BenghaziThe country’s nascent army has scored a success, although probably only temporary Features
New clashes in Libya’s Benghazi kill dozens: officialsAt least 32 people have been killed in the fighting since Monday Africa
Western states urge blacklist of Libya militantsAnsar al-Sharia is already on the U.S. terror list for its role in the September 2012 attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi Middle East
1800GMT: Libyan army urges evacuation of Benghazi portNews Bulletins
Libyan army urges evacuation of Benghazi portThe situation in Benghazi and other parts of Libya has been fluid with government forces unable to control militias Middle East
Pro-government forces recapture parts of BenghaziAn armed forces general staff spokesman said the entire east of Benghazi was now back under the control of government troops Middle East
Libyan army says recaptures four barracks in BenghaziThe army, backed by forces of Khalifa Haftar and other fighters, waged an offensive against Islamist groups in Benghazi Africa