Syrian govt bombs ISIS stronghold of Raqqa, 63 killed
Rami Abdulrahman, who runs the Britain-based Observatory, said 10 war planes struck at least 10 times in Raqqa
More than 63 people were killed in militant-held Syrian city of Raqqa after Syria regime war planes struck the militant group’s stronghold on Tuesday, an observer group monitoring the war said.
Half of those killed were civilians, Reuters news agency reported adding that Syrian government officials were not immediately available to comment.
Rami Abdulrahman, who runs the Britain-based Observatory, said 10 war planes struck at least 10 times in Raqqa, a stronghold of the ultra-hardline group Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
"The majority of the strikes were in the eastern part of the city," Abdulrahman said. "At least 36 of those killed are civilians. As for the rest, we are not sure yet if they were fighters."
According to the Associated Press, the Local Coordination Committees said the strikes killed at least 70 people.
Additionally, another Raqqa-based collective called Raqqa is Being Silently Slaughtered said it documented over 80 deaths.
ISIS, which has seized wide expanses of territory in Iraq and Syria, drove the last Syrian government forces out of Raqqa province in late August. Its fighters seized an air base then, capturing and later executing scores of Syrian soldiers.
An ISIS fighter in the province confirmed that the government carried out the air strikes, which he said killed at least 70 people, Reuters reported.
The Syrian air force has increased its strikes across Syria since a U.S.-led coalition started attacking Islamic State positions inside Syria in September.
Analysts say the increase could be because the Syrian military wants to weaken rebel groups before they get training and equipment promised by the United States.
- France pushing for ‘safe zones’ in Syria
- U.S., Turkey discuss transition away from Assad
- Monitor: U.S.-led strikes have killed 910 people in Syria
- Berlin says 550 Germans joined jihadist cause in Syria and Iraq
- ‘From Syria with love’: state TV claims world record
- The new plan for Syria: A two-year truce
- Egypt militant arrested on return from Syria
- Cyprus on lookout for Syria-bound militants
- Syria government airstrikes kill at least 14
- Syria Kurds advance in heart of Kobane
- Iraqi Kurds say West not providing enough arms to defeat ISIS
- ISIS executes nearly 1,500 people in Syria in 5 months
- Syria says it needs more details on U.N. truce plan