Iraqi probe delves into Speicher Camp massacre
An initial report of the Speicher massacre says criminals helped militants to kill 276 Iraqi soldiers in Tikrit
Iraq’s initial report by a committee tasked with investigating the June massacre in Spiecher Camp found that there were no military orders to withdraw and that “criminals” helped militants to kill 276 soldiers, a local news website reported Thursday.
While other news outlets previously reported that the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria militant group killed at least 1,566 Iraqi Air Force cadets in an attack on Camp Speicher in Tikrit city on June 12, al-Sumaria News reported the initial probe as saying 276 cadets were killed.
The report added that some cadets are believed to be alive but missing.
In September, the Iraqi Human Rights ministry said the total of the missing soldiers and cadets was 1095.
The four-page report found that “there were no orders issued to withdraw or leave defense positions from any top military officer,” adding that “some criminals” have took advantage of the security vacuum after ISIS took over Iraq’s second largest city Mosul in a lighting offensive and “cooperated” with the militants.
- 1300GMT: Maliki forces say they repelled attack on Speicher base in Tikrit
- Mosul residents: ISIS group cuts phones in Iraq city
- ISIS ‘prince’ killed in Iraq’s Hit
- Sources: ISIS kills 25 Anbar tribesmen in Iraq
- ISIS claims suicide bombings in Iraq’s Erbil
- Iraq, Turkey vow to work together against ISIS