Egyptian soldier killed, officer wounded in Sinai attack
Egyptian army is battling Islamist extremist in the desert peninsula
One Egyptian soldier was killed and one officer was wounded when their armored vehicle was hit by an explosive device in northern Sinai late on Thursday, security sources told Al Arabiya News Channel.
The officer was transferred to a hospital in the northern city of al-Arish, the sources added.
Security forces have reportedly launched a search operation for the perpetrators.
The Egyptian military has been battling Islamist militants in the desert peninsula following several deadly attacks against security forces.
- Egyptian soldier killed, officer wounded in Sinai attack
- Egypt court sentences seven militants to death in Sinai case
- Egypt tourist numbers jump 70 pct in Q3 despite Sinai insurgency
- Egypt militant group ‘kills’ U.S. oil worker in Sinai
- Gunmen kill three Egyptian soldiers in Sinai
- Tales of war and heroism from Sinai
- 10 killed in Egypt’s Sinai after rocket struck home
- Egypt closes schools in Sinai towns as area inches towards open war
- Egypt raids Sinai villages, kills 10 ‘terrorists’