.
.
.
.

Lebanon on edge after Israeli attack on Hezbollah

Several Hezbollah members were killed when an Israeli helicopter fired two missiles in the Syrian province of Quneitra

Published: Updated:

Lebanon remains on edge as the country anticipates Hezbollah’s response to an Israeli airstrike that killed six of the group’s members, including the son of a slain top commander, Lebanon’s Daily Star reported.

In addition to boasting of the group’s growing military capabilities, Hezbollah leader Hasan Nasrallah said in an address last week that they had the right to respond to Israeli attacks.

Several Hezbollah members were killed on Sunday when an Israeli helicopter fired two missiles in the Syrian province of Quneitra near the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, the group said.

“A group of Hezbollah mujahedeen were martyred in a Zionist rocket attack in Quneitra, and their names will be revealed later,” said a message flashed on Hezbollah's Al-Manar news channel.

They were killed during a field reconnaissance mission in the Mazraat Amal village of Quneitra province, the message said.

Al Arabiya’s correspondent reported that the son of slain Hezbollah commander Imad Mughniyeh, Jihad Mughniyeh, was killed in the attack.

The dead also reportedly included Mohammed Issa, a Hezbollah commander responsible for its Syrian and Iraqi operations.

Earlier, AFP quoted an Israeli security source as saying that an Israeli helicopter carried out a strike against "terrorists" in the Syrian sector of the Golan Heights who were allegedly preparing an attack on Israel.

The source told AFP the strike took place near Quneitra, close to the cease-fire line separating the Syrian part of the Golan Heights from the Israeli-occupied sector, confirming a report by Lebanon's Al-Manar television.