Syrian Kurds battling ISIS capture strategic Kobane hill top
ISIS has been battling to capture Kobane since mid-September
Kurdish fighters battling the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) jihadist group in Syria's Kobane have captured a strategic hilltop, giving them line of fire over the town, a monitor said Monday.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the Kurdish People's People Units (YPG) had seized the Mishtenur hilltop after fierce clashes overnight.
"The military operation led to the deaths of at least 11 Islamic State fighters, and the seizure of large quantities of weapons and ammunition," the Observatory said.
Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman said the advance was a key strategic victory for the YPG, putting ISIS resupply lines to Aleppo in the west and Raqa in the east within their line of fire.
ISIS has been battling to capture Kobane, on the Syrian-Turkish border, since mid-September, and at one point seemed poised to overrun the Kurdish town.
But Kurdish fighters backed by massive air raids by the U.S.-led coalition against ISIS have gradually pushed back the jihadists, who now hold around 15 percent of the town.
- Coalition strikes pound ISIS targets in Syria, Iraq
- Kurds seize most of Kobane from ISIS: monitor
- U.S., allies target ISIS in 23 air strikes
- Monitor: Kurdish forces seize 70% of Kobane
- ISIS loses ground to Kurds in Syria’s Kobane
- U.S.-led forces launch eight strikes in Kobane
- Turkish boxer Ismail Ozen auctions gloves to support Kobane refugees
- Henning’s death was ‘final straw,’ say UK ex-soldiers fighting ISIS
- New group of Iraqi Peshmergas enters Syrian Kurdish town
- Inside Kobane: War clinic treats anti-ISIS fighters
- Inside Kobane: Kurdish women on the frontline
- Egyptian ‘hipster’ ISIS fighter Islam Yaken killed in Kobane
- At least 50 ISIS fighters killed in Syria’s Kobane
- Turkey denies ISIS attacked Kobane from its territory
- Inside Kobane: Devastation mixed with optimism
- Syria Kurds advance in heart of Kobane
- New U.S.-led strikes on Syria’s Kobane
- Kurds block ISIS supply route to Syria’s Kobane