Lebanon judge summons 28 for Tripoli suicide blasts
The judge accused some of the others, still at large, of carrying out terrorist acts
A Lebanese judge has summoned 28 suspects over a double suicide attack that killed nine people in the northern city of Tripoli earlier this month, the official National News Agency said Tuesday.
“Judge Sakr Sakr, the government's commissioner to the military court, summoned 28 people over the two suicide bombings” in the port city's Alawite district of Jabal Mohsen, NNA said.
Among them were four men already in detention on suspicion of belonging to “an armed terrorist organisation”, it said.
The judge accused some of the others, still at large, of “carrying out terrorist acts, attacking the army, and planting explosives”.
Nine people were killed in the January 10 double suicide attack at a cafe in Jabal Mohsen, which is inhabited mainly by members of the Alawite sect of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
The Syrian branch of Al-Qaeda claimed the attack.
Security sources said the bombers were both Lebanese, from a Sunni district of Tripoli known for its sympathy for the anti-Assad revolt in Syria.
Sharply divided over the war in neighbouring Syria, Lebanon has been the scene of repeated violence in an escalating spillover of the conflict.