Jordan: ISIS lost 20% of its military capabilities
‘We are determined to wipe them [ISIS] from the face of the Earth,’ says Mansour Al-Jbour, head of the Royal Jordanian Air Force
The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) group has lost 20 percent of its military capabilities since the start of U.S.-led coalition air strikes in September, General Mansour Al-Jbour, head of the Royal Jordanian Air Force, said in a press conference on Sunday.
Jordan has carried out nearly 20 percent of the total sorties conducted by the U.S.-led coalition against ISIS in Syria to date, Jbour said, adding that they had been careful not to hit any civilians.
The sorties have led to the “degrading” of nearly 20 percent of the hardline militants’ capabilities, he said.
“We are determined to wipe them from the face of the Earth.”
Jbour also said that the coalition’s air strikes have killed 7,000 members of the militant group.
He also said that Jordan’s jet fighters had conducted 56 raids in three days of intensified bombing targeting a stronghold of ISIS militants in northeast Syria.
“We achieved what we aimed at. We destroyed logistics centers, arms depos and targeted hideouts of their fighters,” Jbour said.
There was no word of any new strikes against the militants on Sunday.
Jordan’s King Abdullah has vowed to avenge the killing of pilot Muath al-Kassasbeh and has ordered his commanders to prepare for an increased military role in the U.S.-led coalition against ISIS.
Many Jordanians fear being dragged into a conflict that could trigger a backlash by hardline militants inside the kingdom.
- Jordan: Pilot murder ‘turning point’ in ISIS fight
- Jordan army planes bomb ISIS targets for third day
- Will Jordan go beyond airstrikes to punish ISIS?
- Jordan planes launch fresh air strikes on ISIS
- Jordan steps up anti-ISIS campaign
- Jordan releases leading al-Qaeda mentor, ISIS critic
- Israel, Jordan leaders confer after ISIS murder of pilot
- Jordanian airstrikes kill 55 ISIS militants