Police captain killed by Cairo bomb claimed by militants
Militant group Ajnad Misr (Soldiers of Egypt)said on Twitter that it had staged the explosion, which it described as the third attack against police
Militants claimed responsibility for a Friday roadside bomb that killed an Egyptian police captain and wounded eight others in Cairo’s area of Ain Shams, Agence France-Presse reported.
Militant group Ajnad Misr (Soldiers of Egypt)said on Twitter that it had staged the explosion, which it described as the third attack against police in the area.
Shortly after the attack, Egyptian warplanes carried a number of sorties killing eight suspected Islamist militant in Sinai, security sources told Reuters news agency.
It was not clear if the airstrikes were in retaliation for the blast, as Cairo continues to fight Islamist insurgents who have killed hundreds of police and soldiers since the army ousted moderate Islamist president Mohamed Mursi in 2013 following mass protests.
Security sources said warplanes struck the Sinai town of Rafah, along Egypt's border with the Gaza Strip.
Egypt is battling an Islamist insurgency that has killed hundreds of soldiers and police officers since the army led the summer 2013 removal of President Mohamed Mursi of the Muslim Brotherhood following mass protests against his rule.
The Egyptian affiliate of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) claimed coordinated attacks last month that killed at least 30 security personnel in the Sinai Peninsula, some of the deadliest anti-government violence in years.
While most of the worst attacks have hit Sinai, a remote but strategic region bordering Gaza, Israel and Egypt's Suez Canal, smaller blasts and attacks have become increasingly common in Cairo and other cities.
- Homemade bomb explodes in central Cairo
- Phone footage captures death of Cairo bomb squad officer
- Bomb explosion outside Cairo University wounds at least seven
- Cairo car bomb kills three: state media
- Sisi vows reprisals after Egypt palace blasts
- One dead as two bombs strike Cairo telecom center
- Little-known jihadist group claims Cairo bombings
- Cairo bomb wounds two policemen, civilian
- Jihadist group Ajnad Misr claims Cairo bombings
- ‘Homemade bomb’ explodes at Cairo tram station
- New militant group ‘Ajnad Misr’ claims Cairo bombings
- Police: Two bombs wound six officers in Cairo