Turkey considering China missiles deal despite NATO concern
Defense Minister Ismet Yilmaz said in a written answer to a parliamentary question that bid assessment had been completed and no new official bid was received
Turkey’s defense minister said on Thursday the country does not plan to integrate a new missile defense system with NATO infrastructure and officials said a $3.4 billion deal with China was still under consideration.
NATO member Turkey, chose China Precision Machinery Import and Export Corp as a preferred bidder in 2013, prompting U.S. and Western concern about security and the compatibility of the weaponry with NATO systems.
Defense Minister Ismet Yilmaz, in a written response to a parliamentary question, indicated Ankara planned to go ahead with the Chinese system, saying the evaluation of bids had been completed and no new offers received.
“The system in question will be integrated with the national system for Turkey’s defense and will be used without integrating with NATO,” Yilmaz said.
However, other government officials later made clear that did not mean a final decision had yet been reached.
“We are continuing discussions with all the bidders,” the Undersecretariat for Defense Industries said in a statement.
U.S. and NATO officials are unhappy with Turkey’s choice of the China Precision Machinery, which has been under U.S. sanctions for selling items to Iran, Syria or North Korea that are banned under U.S. laws to curb the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.
Eurosam, which is owned by Franco-Italian missile maker MBDA and France’s Thales, came second in the tender. U.S.-listed Raytheon Co also put in an offer.