Middle East-bound teens ‘stopped at Sydney airport’
The two boys, aged 16 and 17 and from Sydney, had tickets to an undisclosed Middle Eastern country
Australia Sunday said it stopped two teenage brothers at Sydney Airport believed to be heading to the Middle East to fight, amid growing concern in Western countries over young people joining jihadist groups.
Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said the two boys, aged 16 and 17 and from Sydney, had tickets to an undisclosed Middle Eastern country and raised the suspicions of customs officers on Friday night.
The case came as the families of three British schoolgirls who left their London homes to join Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria in February criticised authorities for not warning them their children risked being radicalised.
“These two young men... are kids, not killers, and they shouldn’t be allowed to go to a foreign land to fight and to come back to our shores eventually more radicalised,” Dutton told reporters.
“In some cases, these young people who are going off to fight in areas like Syria will be killed themselves and that’s a tragedy for their families, for their communities, and for our country.”
The minister said a search of the boys’ luggage raised more questions about their trip and they were referred to the federal police’s counter-terrorism unit.
He said the two youths “had taken a very radical decision ultimately without the knowledge of their parents”.
“Their parents, as I understand it, were as shocked as any of us would be.”
An Australian Federal Police spokeswoman said in a statement that the boys, whose identities were not released, were “arrested under suspicion of attempting to prepare for incursions into foreign countries for the purpose of engaging in hostile activities”.
They were later handed back to their parents and an investigation is ongoing, she said.
Dutton would not say if the teens were linked to the IS group. About 100 Australians were fighting with IS and other terrorist groups in Syria and Iraq, with another 150 supporting them at home, Prime Minister Tony Abbott said last week.
Australia announced Tuesday it was sending another 300 troops to Iraq in a joint mission with New Zealand to help train local forces fighting to reclaim territory seized by IS.
The nation has stepped up its security measures amid fears of heightened threats from “home-grown” IS-inspired extremists, including revoking citizenship for dual nationals linked to terrorism.
Australia ramps up terror threat responseAustralian Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the threat at home was getting worse World News
Australian fighting with Kurds against ISIS killed in Syria: monitorIn December, Australia revealed that 20 of its citizens who had travelled to Syria Middle East
Australia warns women: Don’t join ISIS for ‘romance’Between 30 and 40 women were among Australians who have left to fight with ISIS Features
Australia, Malaysia, Indonesia to trial new jet tracking systemIt raises the minimum tracking rate for planes flying over remote oceans to 15 minutes from current intervals of 30 to 40 minutes Aviation & Transport
Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soonNo trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew Features