Yemeni brigade rebels against Houthi-allied commander
Yemeni brigade 35 stationed in Taiz reportedly declared its support for President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi
A Yemeni military brigade in southern city of Taiz has rebelled against its leader loyal to ousted president Ali Abdullah Saleh who is allied with the Iran-backed Houthi rebels, Al Arabiya News Channel reported on Thursday.
Brigade 35 reportedly declared its support for President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi, considered by the United Nations as the legitimated leader of the violence-hit country.
Saudi Arabia is leading a wide regional coalition, including the military powerhouses of Pakistan and Egypt, using military force to halt the Iran-backed Houthi rebels’ attempt to expand their control over Yemen.
Saudi fighter jets began bombing the Houthi positions early on Thursday and announced the deployment of 1,500 soldiers for potential ground operations against the militia.
For the latest, visit: Operation Decisive Storm
Arab Gulf states of the UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain and Qatar also dispatched their war planes for the anti-Houthi military campaign.
Egypt said it was dispatching four naval ships to the Gulf of Aden and expressed readiness to contribute ground and air forces to the campaign.
BothMorocco, Jordan and Sudan have also contributed fighter jets to the campaign.
Pakistan warned on Thursday that any threat to Saudi Arabia would be met with a “strong response” by Islamabad, the only nuclear Muslim-majority power.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, meanwhile, said his country was losing patience with Iran's bids to “dominate the region” and said his country may offer logistical support for the Saudi-led military campaign.
- Your guide to ‘Operation Decisive Storm’
- Jordan’s role in Yemen part of its commitment to Arab stability: analysts
- Yemen’s Hadi arrives in Riyadh on way to Egypt
- UK’s Cameron to Iran’s Rowhani: Nobody should be backing Houthis in Yemen
- Saudi deploys advanced fighter jets in Yemen
- Arab states agree to form unified military force
- A deputy, a relative, an ideologue: key Houthi leaders reportedly killed
- King Salman orders airstrikes against Houthis
- Pakistan vows ‘strong response’ to any threat to Saudi
- Yemeni protesters in Taiz hail Saudi offensive, King Salman
- Saudi Arabia beefs up security on borders, key facilities
- Iran, Assad regime condemn Operation ‘Decisive Storm’ in Yemen
- Gulf stocks regain ground after early losses over Yemen
- World powers react to ‘Decisive Storm’ in Yemen
- Egypt FM: Cairo to send ground forces to Yemen if needed
- Yemeni protestors in Taiz hail Saudi-led offensive