.
.
.
.

‘Decisive Storm’ strikes Houthis for sixth night

Fighter jets have targeted Houthi militia leaders, surface-to-air missile installations and ammunition depots

Published: Updated:

The Saudi-led “Operation Decisive Storm” carried out a sixth night of air strikes against Iranian-backed Houthi militias across the country, Al Arabiya News Channel reported on Wednesday.

The coalition targeted two Houthi military installations in the city of al-Dhale southwest of Yemen.

Fighter jets have targeted Houthi militia leaders, surface-to-air missile installations, ammunition storage warehouses belonging to the Houthis as well as to forces allied with former president Ali Abdullah Saleh.

In Aden, the strikes were focused on the rebel-held provincial administration complex in Dar Saad in the north of the city,reported AFP citing a military official.

He said there were "many dead and wounded" among the Houthi Shiite rebels but was unable to give a precise toll.

The headquarters of a renegade army brigade loyal to Saleh was targeted overnight in the north of Aden, as well as the city’s international airport, the military official said.

Militia fighters loyal to President Abdrabbu Mansour Hadi have captured 26 Houthis during the fighting in Aden, one of their leaders said.

In the western port city of Hodeida, four civilians were killed and 10 injured when a dairy was hit in the night, said medical sources.

The circumstances of the bombing were unclear, with some witnesses saying the dairy was hit by a coalition air strike and others blaming pro-Saleh forces.

Six other civilians were killed in an air raid targeting Maydi in the northwest province of Hajjah, according to medical sources.

Coalition planes also targeted camps of the Republican Guard, which is loyal to Saleh, around Sanaa and in the central region of Ibb overnight, according to residents.

Several Houthi positions were also targeted in the northern rebel strongholds of Hajjah and Saada.

After entering the capital in September, the Houthis and their allies gradually conquered areas in the center, west and south before bearing down on Aden last month, prompting Hadi to flee to Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia is leading a 10-state coalition to combat the Houthi’s advancement of Yemen in support of the country’s legitimate presiednt and his government.

On Tuesday, Yemen’s Foreign Minister Riad Yasseen called for Arab ground intervention against the Houthis “as soon as possible.”

Saudi Arabia has vowed to keep up the raids until the rebels abandons their insurrection against Hadi, who has fled to Riyadh and whose last bastion in the southern city of Aden was heavily shelled overnight.

Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal also reiterated on Tuesday that the air campaign, dubbed “Operation Decisive Storm,” will continue until Yemen is “stable and unified.”

“Operation Decisive Storm will continue to defend legitimacy in Yemen,” al-Faisal said during his speech at the weekly meeting of the Shura Council in the capital Riyadh.

“We are not advocating war, but we are ready for it,” he said.

Last week, Hadi asked the Security Council to authorize “willing countries that wish to help Yemen to provide immediate support for the legitimate authority by all means and measures to protect Yemen and deter the Houthi aggression."

Hadi cited Article 51 of the U.N. Charter, which covers an individual or collective right to self-defense against armed attack, as his legal justification for requesting military help from Arab countries.

"All our efforts for peaceful settlement have encountered absolute rejection by the Houthis who continue their aggression to subdue the rest of the regions out of their control," Hadi wrote. "There are military convoys destined to attack Aden and the rest of the south."

[With AFP]