Houthis besieged in Aden: Coalition spokesman
Local groups repelled Houthis from Aden’s presidential palace, spokesman for Operation Decisive Storm Brig. Gen. Ahmed Asiri said
Houthi cells in Yemen’s Aden, where the country’s legitimate government has taken refuge, are blocked as a Saudi-led military campaign obstructed logistical support from reaching the Shiite rebels, the spokesman for the operation said on Friday.
Local armed groups have repelled Houthi militants from the city’s presidential palace, which was reportedly stormed by the militia earlier on Thursday, spokesman for Operation Decisive Storm Brig. Gen. Ahmed Asiri said.
The aerial campaign, in its ninth day, has been fulfilling its aim as it continues to target Houthi-held weapon depots and missile launchers, Asiri told reporters. The anti-coalition warplanes targeted on Thursday Scud missile launchers operated by the Houthis – whom he described as a threat to the Yemeni people and the region - he added.
As to sending ground troops into the embattled country, Asiri said that would happen only if there is a need to do so saying that for now, ground forces continue to secure the Saudi border with Yemen.
Separately, Houthi rebels, according to Asirir, threatened on Friday to disrupt navigation in the Strait of Mandeb at the tip of the Red Sea.
- Pakistan PM stands by Saudi on Yemen crisis
- Qaeda seizes heart of city in southeast Yemen
- Turkey offers support to Saudi-led operation in Yemen
- China evacuates 225 foreigners from Yemen in unprecedented move
- Yemen rebels quit Aden palace after air raids
- Al-Qaeda frees 300 inmates in Yemen jailbreak
- GCC in tough U.N. talks with Russia on Yemen
- All sides should ensure protection of civilians in Yemen: EU
- Saudi-led coalition targets Houthi arms in Yemen