.
.
.
.

Yemen rebels quit Aden palace after air raids

An official said the Houthi militia and their allies withdrew before dawn from the Al-Maashiq palace

Published: Updated:

Rebel forces withdrew from Yemeni President Abdrabbu Mansour Hadi’s palace in his former southern stronghold Aden early Friday after overnight air raids by the Saudi-led coalition, a senior official said.

The rebels had seized the hilltop complex a day earlier after fierce fighting with supporters of Hadi, who has taken refuge in Saudi Arabia.

“The Houthi militia and their allies withdrew before dawn from the Al-Maashiq palace,” said the official in Aden, who did not want to be named.

On Thursday, the Saudi-led coalition spokesman said the situation in Aden - the last refuge of Yemen’s internationally-recognized government - is stable.

Houthi rebels and forces loyal to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh have failed to take control over any government buildings in the southern city, Brig. Gen. Ahmed Asiri said in a televised press conference.

Thursday’s airstrikes also targeted areas in Yemen’s fourth-largest city of al Hudaydah where surface-to-air launchers had been placed, Asiri added.