Mortar fire kills 11 civilians in Egypt’s Sinai
The mortar rounds also wounded six people
Mortar fire has killed 11 civilians, all but one of them women and children in Egypt’s North Sinai, where the government is battling an Islamist insurgency, police and medics said Thursday.
The mortar rounds, which hit two houses in a village southeast of the provincial capital El-Arish Wednesday night, also wounded six people, the officials said without specifying who was behind the attack.
Sinai is a hotbed of a militant group once known as Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, which changed its named to Sinai Province after pledging allegiance last year to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) group.
In a separate incident in the same area, a roadside bomb targeting an armored personnel carrier killed two police and wounded three, police said.
On April 2, Sinai Province claimed a series of simultaneous attacks that killed 15 soldiers and two civilians in the restive peninsula.
The group has killed scores of security personnel since the army ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in 2013. It says its attacks are in retaliation for the brutal crackdown against Islamists that left hundreds dead and thousands jailed.
As its name implies, the group wants to turn Sinai into a province of the self-declared ISIS “caliphate” in Syria and Iraq.
- Egypt’s ISIS branch claims deadly Sinai attack
- Sinai attacks kill 15 soldiers, 2 civilians
- Roadside bomb kills two soldiers in Egypt’s Sinai
- Two killed, 27 wounded after two attacks in Sinai
- Bomb kills three soldiers in Egypt's Sinai region
- Egypt to temporarily reopen Rafah crossing with Gaza
- Dozens of ‘militants’ killed in Sinai: sources
- Two suicide car bombs wound six in Egypt’s Sinai