Houthis blocking humanitarian aid, says Saudi spokesman
Saudi Brig. Gen. Ahmed Asiri said that Yemenis are set to receive increased medical services within next few days
Iranian-backed Houthi militias are blocking humanitarian aid from entering areas in Yemen, the Saudi-led coalition spokesperson said Monday.
Brig. Gen. Ahmed Asiri said that the appeal for a military pause to allow urgent humanitarian aid deliveries should be directed to the Houthi militias, who are killing civilians, and not the Saudi-led coalition.
Earlier this week, Russia urged the United Nations Security Council to order “humanitarian pauses” regarding the Saudi-led coalition’s air strikes on Yemen to enable the delivery of aid and medical supplies.
Asiri added that within the next few days the situation will ease up for civilians in Yemen, who will be receiving increased medical services.
During the daily brief, the spokesperson said that there has been no confirmation on the status of Abdelmalik al Houthi, the leader of the Iranian-backed Houthi militias, who some unconfirmed news reports said he might have been killed recently.
He also said that the Houthi militias are using schools and sports stadiums to stock arms and that those areas had been targeted by the coalition over the past few days.
Speaking about Yemen’s territorial waters, Asiri said that all maritime movement to and from the area were still banned.
Asiri also stressed that the situation on the Saudi border is stable and that there has been no substantial fighting with the Houthi militias there.