Asiri: Houthis crossed red line, will pay price
Saudi armed forces say retaliatory operations will 'target militias and protect civilians'
A Saudi Ministry of Defense spokesman said that retaliatory opereations were 'underway' against Houthi militias in Yemen who targeted Saudi residential areas earlier this week, adding that the Yemeni city of Saada and Muran, where the militias launched their attacks from, are now 'targeted areas.'
“The security of Saudi Arabia is a red line that has been crossed and the Houthis will pay the price,” Brig. Gen. Ahmed Asiri said during a press conference on Thursday.
Saudi Arabia’s armed forces said the strikes are aimed at militias and are done to protect civilians of both Yemen and Saudi Arabia as they advised all resiednts of Saada to stay away and avoid all areas where Houthi militia fighters are based, Al Arabiya News Channel reported.
In comments to Al Arabiya’s sister channel Al Hadath; Asiri said the retaliation to the Houthi attacks "will be stern.”
“We will take the necessary steps to defend Saudi Arabia against Houthi attacks,” he added.
“We will target centers of command which planned and authorized strikes against Saudi Arabia,” Asiri later told Al Arabiya.
A series of mortar attacks from Yemen targeted southern Saudi cities of Najran and Jazan earlier this week.
- Saudi FM says ceasefire in Yemen will be 'everywhere or nowhere'
- U.N. says services on ‘brink of collapse’ in Yemen
- ‘Op Decisive Storm’ ends in Yemen
- Gulf envoys: No ceasefire unless Houthis retreat
- Ex-Yemen leader’s party says it welcomes ceasefire
- U.N chief urges Yemen ceasefire by ‘all parties’
- Yemen: ceasefire must precede any peace initiative
- Apache helicopter in emergency landing near Yemen border: Saudi source
- HRW: Yemen rebels committed ‘possible war crimes’